Logo
    Struggling for ideas with my 2 yr old niece here.

She's not especially interested in anything and nothing seems to hold her attention for too long. She's quite good at talking for her age and she's very curious and likes to copy adults a lot now (mimicking putting on make-up, wanting to go on their laptop etc.) She's also a bit of a ruffian and also still likes to put anything and everything in her mouth so I'm hesitant to get things like play dough and any art materials because she'll probably just eat them.

Someone is already getting her a kiddy laptop and she has one of those girl's world make-up doll heads. She has plenty of stuffed toys, dolls, kitchen sets, play sets (like doll's houses, farms etc.), musical instruments, building blocks, ride along toys and puzzles.

Can't think of something different to get her.

What to get a 2yr old girl for Christmas?

How about books? You can go on one web site and get personalised books which use the child's name in the story.

Get her very little. At two she won't really understand what Christmas is about. If she already has all the toys she needs, don't feel obliged to add to the pile 'because it's Christmas'.
    My 3 year old is getting a stocking of little treats from santa, and from us she's getting pyjamas, a crockery set, an annual, a dress, a rucksack and a few other things which are practical but feature her favourite cartoon characters, so she will love them regardless. She really doesn't need more toys, and she will get enough from other relatives.
    When it's warmer we will buy some pony rides for her. This year she's been to Peppa Pig World and to Thomas the tank at Llangollen, both of which she still talks about! I think experiences like this are preferable to plastic toys which will languish at the bottom of the toy box.
    One conscious decision we have made though is to keep the number of gifts small. One as we do not have much storage space, and two, because children subconsciously expect each year to be better than the last. If you spend a few hundred while they are toddlers, by the time they are seven or eight Christmas becomes a serious drain on finances. I have friends who spend 400+ per child.

Sorry op just read it was your niece, not your daughter.

Excellent advice which I totally support. Some young people who I am associated with are slightly less than two, but as @eluf38 explains, at this age they do not have a clue as to Christmas. Added to the suggestions already made, the generic advice is to get "educational toys" - for instance something that makes the child think about getting different-shaped blocks into slots for them. A few weeks ago, ALDI did a "special buy" day of children's toys, one of which was a "Disney bus" which was as I described - the "bus" was the base unit into which different shaped blocks went into their corresponding slots. There was a "Mickey Mouse" bus and a "Minny Mouse" bus, depending upon the infant. These are available widely if you do an internet search e.g. Amazon. I notice too that the supermarket Morrisons have some good educational toys along similar lines to what I describe.

One good toy can be found for between 10 and 20. You want to get something that IS good, but don't go way over the top. Equally, don't buy loads of small cheap toys which could be a choking hazard, and could be of limited value. Not that there are many cheap toys around in these few days running up until Christmas.

There is always the honest way out, of getting a gift voucher. There are generic ones such as a Mastercard or Visa, or a specific one such as a Boots gift card, which can be spent on whatever the parent needs most for the child.