Logo

Advice for my son on SIPP

Hi Guys
    On my advice, our son wants to pay into a sipp for the next 10 years, he is 48 now.

I suggested 2 options, and would appreciate some feedback please, my suggestions are....

1- investing in Funsmith, Scottish Mortgage, Lindsell Train Global equal amounts.
    2- investing in Vanguard World all stocks.
    Although, he may not be able to do a sipp with Vanguard.

My portfolio is
    Fundsmith
    LInsdell Train Global
    Scottish Mortgage
    Vanguard Europe ex Uk
    Vanguard Japan Stock
    Bats
    Ng
    ULVR
    UU

Personally, I think you've already given your son very good advice, especially Option 1.

Also I think Terry Smith should seriously consider renaming his fund to Funsmith

Jim S

Nice to hear your praise of my selection, at present, I do most of my investing through HL and I THINK, my son could (like me) deal directly with SMT and FS but don't think he can deal with LT, can you confirm that, or suggest alternative.

I must admit, I like having all in one place, and I do like the HL site, but most on this site would warn me of higher charges I assume.

Nothing wrong with your suggestions, some very high quality and consistent funds. I would however personally prefer some more diversification to reduce risk, so would look at increasing the number of funds invested in. Examples would be:

BG Emerging Markets Growth
    JPM Emerging Markets
    Jupiter India
    BG Japanese
    Investec Gold
    Pictet Robotics

There is overlap between Fundsmith and the LT fund. Prefer the latter.

I would replace UU with Prudential ( I own the Pru) as bit of overlap with NG ( I own)

As Secret Banker says more geographical/sector spread is needed.

First State Global Infrastructure ( which I own) & Royal London Sterling Extra Yield Bond ( not ) should be considered as well as Threadneedle European Select. These 3 funds are run by experienced managers who have been in situ for several years.

Finally, markets are quite high at the moment so I would suggest some phasing in.