Logo

Understanding the 25% SIPP tax free process

My wife will, in about a years time, be retiring and starting to take money from her SIPP.

It will probably make sense for her to withdraw the tax free money in several tranches. However, I am unclear exactly how this works in practice.

Say, for the sake of illustration her SIPP is worth 400,000. She decides to take 10% out (40,000) tax free, leaving 360,000 in her SIPP. A year later she decides to take out 15% (to give a total of 25%), but by that time her SIPP has grown to 380,000. Is the 15% she can take 15% of 360,000 (54,000) or 15% of 380,000 (57,000)?

I have kept the illustration above fairly simple, but in practice she is likely to take her tax free money in several tranches.

In theory, yes. But she needs to check that her pension provider has the IT system to be able to cope with the transaction.

So make a phone call on Monday.

In theory yes? Which one is correct?

The reason for not taking the full tax free amount in one go would be to stay below the income tax threshold for several years in a row.

David,

Your wife should speak to the administrators of her SIPP and ask for a few worked examples.

It gets very complicated, very quickly.

BTW, why would she not take the full 25% tax free amount?