Logo
    My wife and I are 53, and were originally planning on retiring around age 55 or 56. We've been putting 20% of our income away for about 25 years, and our fourth kid will be out of house around then (he's just starting college) - so finances will be fine. We both really like our work (me: high tech, her: math educator)
    As we are planning on how it will look a in few years, we both agreed on this route:
    - Don't stop working at 56 and downsize. The original plan.
    - Keep working, cut back to 3 or 4 days a week. Stop saving for retirement, paying for college - all that stuff we won't need to do anymore - and go have a lot fun / do good with the money. Spend our 50's / 60's in a very active way, and carve out more time to enjoy ourselves.
    Anyone else thinking the same way?

Deciding not to retire soon

I retired at 56, DH retired at 57. But we have full retiree health bennies and a generous pension.
    It's been a whole lot of fun for the last 6 yrs, and with good luck it will continue.
    We watched my MIL have money but no fun in her senior years. Her DH developed serious heart trouble so was disabled for years. All their plans for retirement travel and good times together, never happened.
    When her DH died it knocked her for a loop. She could never stop looking back at the past. Over the years all her friends moved away or died. Her state of mind was very poor.
    We finally found a great full-service facility and moved her there at the age of 84. She had almost two full years of tremendous happiness there before peacefully passing away.
    It showed us that neither money nor "bucket lists" mean anything. It's the HUMAN connection that matters. As studies show, experiences are what people remember.
    So, yes, make those experiences good ones while you can. Not just with someone, but by yourself, too, as well with friends and family.
    Retirement can give you more time for making memories. Take advantage of it.

Troy, I retired at almost 65 with a full pension. DH can't retire until Feb 2020, so I went back to work part time when I was invited by a former boss. When she retired two years later, I retired for the second time. If you are retiring together and enjoy spending time together, you should be fine. If people in your family live long lives and you enjoy your jobs, you might want to switch to part time. My parents both worked into their 70s, but I don't recommend waiting that long!

We do enjoy spending time together. I'm thinking if we both worked 3 days per week, and took a couple of months off per year, it would be a nice way to go. We would earn enough to cover all our bills, plus fun expenses - and not dip into retirement savings until later on.

Off and on I had worked on my retirement planning for years. Last year, I drafted retirement plan with Fidelity Investment retirement planning tool, and enlisted my Fidelity consultant to walk through the entire plan. As I have been working with the consultant for almost 10 years, he is familiar with my situation. The advice he provided and the trust between us are invaluable.