Has anyone else gotten the email from Vanguard inviting you to move from a mutual fund account to a brokerage account?
    Is there any reason not to do this? If I only invest in their mutual funds, is there any real benefit to doing it?

Vanguard email about moving to a brokerage account

I have IRA and Roth IRA funds in mutual funds with them and I didn't get this. Maybe its only for funds held outside of retirement vehicles.

That could be. I do have taxable money with them also.

this switch has been going on for a while, slowly. But it appears (to me) that they want everyone on this new "platform"

I saw it mentioned back in Nov 2014 somewhere else. And it came up again just recently at that same place.

I opened my vanguard account this year. After setting it up, I was researching ETFs within my account when I was prompted to open the brokerage account.

Having never been a VG customer before I don't know what the difference is...

I don't think there is a benefit to you, since you're not paying transaction fees either way. But it won't hurt anything, either.

I have also read elsewhere that Vanguard is moving in this direction. I have not received a similar notice myself.